AIIAS traces its beginnings to 1957 when the regional office of the Seventh-day Adventist church established and funded a graduate program in the Philippines to train church leaders of Asia.
These programs were organized into a theological seminary known as the Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary, Far East. Graduate programs steadily expanded to include education, administration, public health and nursing. These programs were organized into a graduate school.
On January 31, 1986, AIIAS came into being by Philippines Presidential Decree 2021 as an international, graduate-level institution. The charter provided for two schools: the Theological Seminary and the Graduate School
In 1991, the present AIIAS campus in Silang municipality, Cavite province, was completed.
On October 6, 1996, AIIAS became an institution of higher learning operated by the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists.
AIIAS offers master's level extension programs at locations throughout the region in various settings. It continues to spread influence in both traditional classroom and through world wide virtual education.